SACRED HEART LEAGUE —2018
The League of the Sacred Heart will meet on Friday, March 2nd, 2018 at 7 PM. At this time the meeting will be at St. Monica’s Hall, in ST. Augustine’s Church.
ALL WOMEN from the Parish of ST. Nicholas (ST. Augustine’s Church and The Church ofGood Shepard) are invited to attend.
Founded in NOVEMBER 1939, THE LEAGUE OF THE SACRED HEART HAS MAINTAINED ITS MEMBERSHIP for 78 YEARS. Its mission is to provide spiritual and social benefits to its membership and support of activities in the parish.
Our meetings are normally held on a Friday of the month in ST. Monica’s Hall at 7 PM and will meet alternately at the Church of Good Shepard starting spring 2018.
Following a short business meeting there is socializing and activities such as the following: pot luck dinner, game night and silly auctions; various speakers.
PAST AND FUTURE ACTIVITIES AND SPEAKERS FOR THE LEAGUE ARE AS FOLLOWS;
- Cary Carpina, RN, Senior Health & Wellness Coordinator,Community Outreach & Parish Nursing(Breast Cancer).
- Dr. Shyla Muriel, MD, Internal Medicine in Seymour and Shelton on Women’s Health.
- Richard Renker, former Deacon who spoke on”The Seven Pillars” connecting Holy Week.
- Frank Bovino, former Deacon, who spoke on the meaning of Lent.
- Joan Reynolds, parishioner and Lay Coordinator of Our Lady of Victory Parish, West Haven, spoke on the Cursillo Movement in the Archdiocese of Hartford.
- Dr. Joan Kelly, member of the faculty of Holy Apostles College & Seminary in Cromwell spoke on “The Catholic Laity: Called and Gifted.
- Nicole, Director of Education, Carolyn’s Place, Inc., Pregnancy Care Center, speaking on it goals.
- Mary O’Brien from the Office of Catholic Social Justice, Ministry of the Archdiocese of Hartford,
- on Fair Trade, etc. This year she spoke on Pope Francis’ “Laudaato Si” and we read Dr. Seuss’s book “The Lorax” reminding us that the earth is our common and we must care for it.
- Ernie Scrivani, Office of Pastoral Planning spoke on what has occurred in the Archdiocese of Hartford.
- Deacon Ken Ewaskie from St. Nicholas Parish speaking on “ So You Think You Are Catholic”.
We participate in the Stations of the Cross, celebrate the birth of Christ and the Feast of the of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We have visited the Knights of Columbus in New Haven to see the exhibits of the creches. In May 2017, we visited the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Bethlehem.
Plans for the spring 2018 are the following:
March-Meet & Greet New Members,
April- The Talk on the Benefits of Tea by Bigelow Company,
May-a visit to The Lavender Farm in Killingworth and the Tea Kettle Gourrmet, Old Saybrook,
June 8th- mass for the Feast of the Sacred Heart followed by a dinner.
Tentative dates are the following: March 2nd, April 6th, May 4th, and June 8th ( Feast of the Sacred Heart).
Membership in the League will give you the opportunity to strengthen your bond with ST. Nicholas’s parish family.