ALL WOMEN from the Parish of ST. Nicholas (ST. Augustine’s Church and The Church of Good Shepard) are invited to attend.
Founded in November 1939, THE LEAGUE OF THE SACRED HEART HAS MAINTAINED ITS MEMBERSHIP for 79 YEARS. Its mission is to provide spiritual and social benefits to its membership and support of activities in the parish.
Our meetings are normally held on a Friday of the month at 7 PM meeting alternately at Father Keane’s Hall at the Church of Good Shepard and ST Monica’s Hall at ST. Augustine Church.
Following a short business meeting there is socializing and activities such as the following: pot luck dinner, game night and silly auctions and various speakers.
Here is an update for the Sacred Heart League
PAST AND FUTURE ACTIVITIES AND SPEAKERS FOR THE LEAGUE ARE AS FOLLOWS;
You may omit the above From Cary Carpino to Ernie Scrivani
• Cary Carpino, RN, Senior Health & Wellness Coordinator,Community Outreach & Parish Nursing(Breast Cancer).
• Dr. Shyla Muriel, MD, Internal Medicine in Seymour and Shelton on Women’s Health.
• Richard Renker, former Deacon who spoke on”The Seven Pillars” connecting Holy Week.
• Frank Bovino, former Deacon, who spoke on the meaning of Lent.
• Joan Reynolds, parishioner and Lay Coordinator of Our Lady of Victory Parish, West Haven, spoke on the Cursillo Movement in the Archdiocese of Hartford.
• Dr. Joan Kelly, member of the faculty of Holy Apostles College & Seminary in Cromwell spoke on “The Catholic Laity: Called and Gifted.
• Nicole, Director of Education, Carolyn’s Place, Inc., Pregnancy Care Center, speaking on it goals.
• Ernie Scrivani, Office of Pastoral Planning spoke on what has occurred in the Archdiocese of Hartford.
. Marian O’Keefe talk and slid show of PT Barnum
• Mary O’Brien from the Office of Catholic Social Justice, Ministry of the Archdiocese of Hartford,
• on Fair Trade, etc., on Pope Francis’ “Laudaato Si” for which we read Dr. Seuss’s book “The Lorax” reminding us the importance of
Earth and we must care for it, and this past year “Solidarity Walk:Prayer to End Human Trafficking. Christine Delgrande on Catholic Relief Services
• Walter Finneran on “Brian Bags” which were created by Walter’s wife, Donna, his daughter and himself for the homeless. Brian was Donna’s brother.
• Deacon Ken Ewaskie from St. Nicholas Parish speaking on “ So You Think You Are Catholic”and this past year on “Mystery of Suffering”.
We participate in the Stations of the Cross, celebrate the birth of Christ and the Feast of the of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We have visited the Knights of Columbus in New Haven seeing the exhibits of the creches. In May 2017, we visited the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Bethlehem.
Plans for the spring 2019 are the following:
March 1st- Talk by Father Mathieu Isaac, Parochial Vicar
April 5th- Discussion for future meetings and a Silly auction to be describe at the March meeting
June 7th- mass for the Feast of the Sacred Heart followed by a dinner.
Tentative dates are the following: March 1st, April 5th, May 3rd, and June 7th ( Feast of the Sacred Heart).
Membership in the League will give you the opportunity to strengthen your bond with ST. Nicholas’s parish family.
Any questions, please contact Elaine at 203-888-3496